Over the years, I've had friends and family ask me two things time and time again: "How to" perform a home repair themselves or "The repair man said he needs to...does that sound right to you?" This is why we have started our newest service, "Ask Donnie". With todays tough economic situation, this has become a highly requested service!
Don't trust the handyman?:
We have all been at the mercy of the handyman, wondering "Does he know what he's doing?" or "Am I paying more than I should be?" When it comes to an issue like this, nothing could be more helpful than the thoughts of an expert. Use the form below to send me an email or call us at the office to discuss these issues and get advice first!
Some projects can be done by yourself, with a little guidance. Call me today and I will come to your home and guide you through your task from tools to techniques, so you can finish your project in no time! Use the form below to send me an email or call us at the office to set up a consultation and save yourself some hard-earned cash!
WHY USE A LICENSED BUILDER?
IT IS THE LAW!
Protect yourself with these simple tips:
1. All builders and inspectors MUST be Licensed.
2. All specialty Contractors must be certified.
3. When the cost of a project is more than $5000, an individual must be a Licensed Home Builder or Certified General Contractor.
4. When the cost of a project is more than $200, the Specialty Contractor MUST be registered. When the cost of the project is over $5000, the Specialty Contractor MUST be Certified and obtain a Surety Bond prior to the job.
5. A Specialty Contractor CANNOT add additions on to a residence.
6. A Specialty Contractor can only be registered in (3) classifications. (example: flooring, painting, carpentry only)
7. Always have a set of plans and/ or specifications for each project. Have a clear signed contract describing the work that
is to be completed.
8. NEVER use a verbal agreement, estimate or contract.
9. If you are not sure the Builder is Licensed or Certified, ask to see his/her pocket-sized card. If they cannot produce one, you should call the SC Contractor's Licensing Board at (803) 896-4696, to verify they are properly licensed or registered. Only an Officer of the Company can be Certified; A Contractor CANNOT build under another individual's certificate. Violation of this can cost up to $10,000 in fines.
10. NEVER let a builder talk you into obtaining your own Building Permit in your name. This DOES NOT save you money and it's against the law.
If you allow an unlicensed Builder or Specialty Contractor to do any work on your home or building, the Residential Builders Commission or the SC Contractor's Licensing Board CANNOT help you with any problems that may arise in the construction, repair and /or warranties on your building or project.
This information is provided to protect you, the consumer, as a courtesy of
Moore Quality Builders, LLC.